This project revisits the traditional granny flat and explores an alternative approach to this type of secondary dwelling. Carefully placed on the sloping site to mediate between the existing dwelling and the adjoining parkland, it defines an activated boundary between private and public space. The linear plan provides three small spaces, which alternate between necessary indoor enclosure and outdoor retreat while embracing expansive views of the park. The dwelling is suitably elevated to address privacy issues and its simple linear form floats lightly on a crafted concrete plinth that appears to be a natural extension of the surrounding landscape. Working within a limited budget, the architect has favoured highly crafted detail over expansive space, providing a stimulating living environment for the occupant. The result is a finely tuned yet modest building, which significantly exceeds expectations for its typology.
Award for New House under 200m2 supported by Artedomus.
Products and materials
- Lysaght Custom Orb Zincalume; Ampelite Custom Orb fibreglass in ‘Opal White’.
- External walls
- Galvanized steel sheeting; in situ concrete, board marked.
- Internal walls
- Hoop pine plywood, limewashed; Formply; cypress pine with clear sealer.
- Southern Star Windows residential profiles in clear anodized aluminium.
- Southern Star Windows commercial profiles in clear anodized aluminium; Centor S1E retractable flyscreen; Locker Group expanded-metal screen; galvanized steel sheeting.
- Polished concrete with clear penetrating sealer; cypress pine with clear sealer.
- Fluorescent lamps.
- Formply benchtop, door panels and splashback; plywood cupboards, limewashed; Tradelink plumbing parts; Clark Monaco sink; Westinghouse rangehood and electric cooktop.
- Caroma Concorde Sovereign toilet suite; Tradelink plumbing parts; Eco Outdoor basalt stone floor tiles with clear sealer; Laminex Visage vertical surfaces
- Desk lamps, chairs and bedside table from Corporate Culture; Eco Outdoor seat cushions and seating pads.
- Atelier Chen Hung (A-CH)
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
- Project Team
- Melody Chen, James Hung, Renee Popovic
- Site Details
Site area 600 m2
Building area 45 m2
- Project Details
Design, documentation 4 months
Construction 6 months
Type New houses
Published online: 25 Jul 2013
Images: Alicia Taylor
Houses, August 2013