The jury was impressed by this monumental concrete and glass extension, which is a perfect contemporary companion to Orama, the stately Victorian villa of similar proportions that sits in front. The transitions from old to new are deftly handled to celebrate the new partnership of forms with framed views from one to the other. The junctions are seamless and preserve the qualities of enclosure in the original rooms. The resolution of detail throughout the project is consistently intricate, meticulous and at times breathtaking in its precision. Such execution is a credit to the close working relationship between builders and architects.
The grand proportions, mass and fine detail of the original villa are interpreted in a bold and dramatic contemporary extension that celebrates the collective skills of the designers and builders in the same way the original house did in its day. The result is a balanced composition where old and new do not compete but speak equally of gracious contemporary living.
Read the project review by Sing D’Arcy from Houses 105.
Products and materials
- External and internal walls
- Off-form concrete from Boral.
- Windows and doors
- Vitrocsa Swimms mono fixed sliding doors in black anodized finish; Viridian ComfortPlus glass in ‘Super Clear’ finish.
- Feltex Queensbury cut-pile carpet; Lea Ceramiche Basaltina Stone Project rectified ceramic tiles in ‘Stuccata’ with matt finish.
- Viabizzuno Foro lights; Delta Light You-Turn On Opto lights; Serge Mouille Mur wall lights; Nocturnal Lighting Kowari bollard lights.
- Barazza Velvet touch screen oven and Select burner hob; Dupont Corian benchtops in ‘Designer White’; DUWA Joinery stainless steel bench, cupboards and drawers; Astra Walker Icon mixer.
- DUWA Joinery Carrara Statuary marble vanity and bath surround, honed; Astra Walker Icon floor-mounted bath mixer, wall-mounted basin mixer and shower rose arm in aged brass; Kaldewei Classic Duo bath in white steel enamel.
- Heating and cooling
- Rotex hydronic underfloor heating.
- Zinc-clad Monarch garage door.
- Smart Design Studio
Sydney, NSW, Australia
- Project Team
- William Smart, Lucy Bedbrook, Anita Panov
Engineer Istruct Consulting Engineers
Landscape designer Dangar Group
- Site Details
Site area 719 m2
Building area 404 m2
- Project Details
Design, documentation 6 months
Construction 15 months
Type Alts and adds, New houses