An abstract object sits embedded in the landscape – a long, highly textured wall wrapping three black timber pavilions and enclosing five courtyards. The structures offer shelter from the at-times harsh climate, as well as views over the extraordinary landscape and coastline to the east.
The textured brick wall, with its carefully curated mortar jointing, anchors the building to the site. Its earthen materiality is attuned to the landscape, mediating between screening a busy road to the west and opening up to the view.
The planning of the house into three discrete pavilions separated by courtyards allows for the entry of northern light along its length, and for the incremental shutting down or opening up of the house to suit either its owners – an elderly couple – or larger family gatherings.
Building a sizeable project with a high level of quality and detail on a relatively modest budget is a significant achievement in itself. This project goes much further – it offers an alternative model for ageing in place, with careful consideration of the single-level plan, the accessibility of bathrooms, access to outdoor spaces and an acute awareness of scale.
See full image galleries of all the winning and shortlisted projects here.
Award for New House over 200 m2 is supported by Think Brick.
Read Katelin Butler’s review of Fish Creek House here.
Products and materials
- Lysaght Klip-Lok in Colorbond ‘Night Sky’; custom steel plate awnings in black enamel paint.
- External walls
- Recycled B-grade bricks in custom dragged mortar finish; silvertop ash shiplapped cladding from Precise Timber Innovations in Teknos Aqua Primer ‘Ebony’ and Intergrain UltraDeck ‘Ebony’.
- Internal walls
- Gyprock plasterboard in Dulux ‘Whisper White’; Maxi Plywood black film-faced birch ply ceilings; silvertop lining boards from Precise Timber Innovations in Cabots ‘Beach House Grey’ (half tint) and Intergrain clear matt finish.
- Windows and doors
- Capral Flushline double-glazed windows and doors; Aneeta Clearstep sashless double-glazed windows; custom steel-framed windows and skylights.
- Custom concrete mixed with black oxide and in Rockstar Concrete Seal; Feltex Carpets Stefano wool carpet in ‘Shale’; Forbo Flooring Systems marmoleum in ‘Black Hole’; silvertop ash boards from Precise Timber Innovations in Cabots ‘Beach House Grey’ (half tint) and Intergrain clear matt finish.
- Bramah pendant from Living Edge; Bellevue AJ4 wall lamp from Great Dane; Masson for Light Gemini track lighting; ISM Basics rounded wall light.
- Esse 900CH wood-fired cooker (also for hydronic heating); Fisher and Paykel induction cooktop and DishDrawer; Franke Neptune Plus sink; Phoenix Vivid Slimline mixer in matt black; Sierra Reverse Osmosis System water purifier; Electrolux integrated fridge; Caesarstone benchtops in ‘Alpine Mist’; custom steel shelves in black enamel paint; blackbutt shelves; Briggs Veneers blackbutt veneer; silvertop ash lining boards from Precise Timber Innovation, in Cabots ‘Beach House Grey’ (half tint) and Intergrain clear matt finish; Bespoke Tile and Stone Devonshire matt white ceramic tiles.
- Roca Virginia freestanding bath; Vitra Water Jewels basin; Catalano Zero 50 basin; Rogerseller Strap Paper Holder; custom towel rail; Astra Walker Icon tapware; Prague Black Matt tiles; Ceramica Vogue matt white ceramic wall tiles; blackbutt vanity benchtop in Osmo Wood Protector finish; custom robe hooks by Interia.
- Heating and cooling
- Stovax View 8 wood-fired heater.
- External elements
- Silvertop ash decking from Precise Timber Innovations; recycled B-grade brick paving.
- Spacecraft cushions; Tait Tidal chairs and table; recycled B-grade brick paving.
- Edition Office
- Project Team
- Aaron Roberts, Kim Bridgland
Energy assessment Sustainability House
Engineer Deery Engineering
- Site details
Site area 8600 m2
Building area 294 m2
Type New house, Residential
- Project Details
Completion date 2015
Design, documentation 22 months
Construction 15 months
Published online: 4 Aug 2017
Images: Benjamin Hosking
Houses, August 2017