The University of Melbourne, the University of Sydney and the University of New South Wales are better places to study architecture and the built environment than some Ivy League universities, according to the QS World University Rankings.
The University of Melbourne is Australia’s top ranked architecture school at 15, the University of Sydney just behind at 17, and the University of New South Wales came in 22. The three universities were all ranked before prestigious institutions such as Cornell University (27), Stanford University (30) and Princeton University (38).
Massachusets Institute of Technology (MIT) was ranked as the top place to study architecture and the built environment in the world.
The Asia-Pacific region did well generally, with eight of the top 20 architecture schools from the region. The National University of Singapore was ranked six, while Tsinghua University in Beijing was ranked number eight. The University of Auckland came in at number 45.
Eleven Australian universities made it into the top 100 rankings, including the University of Melbourne (15), the University of Sydney (17), the University of New South Wales (22), RMIT University (33), the University of Queensland (37), the University of Newcastle (40) and Monash University (41). Curtin University, Griffith University, Queensland University of Technology and the University of South Australia are all ranked within the top 51-100.
The QS World University Rankings released lists of the top 100 universities according to specific subject areas, with scores given based on academic reputation, employer reputation and research citations per paper.
Top 25 universities for architecture and built environment:
1. Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) – United States
2. University College London (UCL) – United Kingdom
3. Delft University of Technology – Netherlands
4. University of California, Berkeley (UCB) – United States
5. Harvard University – United States
6. National University of Singapore (NUS) – Singapore
7. Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH Zurich) – Switzerland
8. Tsinghua University – China
9. University of Cambridge –United Kingdom
10. The University of Tokyo – Japan
11. Columbia University – United States
12. The Hong Kong Polytechnic University – Hong Kong
13. University of Hong Kong (HKU) – Hong Kong
14. Politecnico di Milano – Italy
15. The University of Melbourne – Australia
16. Tongji University – China
17. The University of Sydney – Australia
18. University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) – United States
19. Seoul National University (SNU) – South Korea
20. University of British Columbia – Canada
21. KTH, Royal Institute of Technology – Sweden
22. The University of New South Wales (UNSW) – Australia
22. Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya – Spain
24. Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL) – Switzerland
25. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign – United States
Australia’s universities also fared well overall with five in the top 50 worldwide: The Australian National University (25), The University of Melbourne (33), The University of Sydney (37), The University of Queensland (43) and The University of New South Wales (48). See the full rankings here.