The Australian Institute of Architects has shortlisted five creative teams for Australia’s exhibition in the 2016 Venice Architecture Biennale.
Australia’s first architecture exhibition in the soon-to-be completed new pavilion by Denton Corker Marshall could be one of these themes:
- POST: Australian Architecture Abroad – John de Manincor, Sandra Kaji-O’Grady and Misho Baranovic
- Here and There – Ed Lippmann, John Pleffer and Susan Freeman
- The Pool – Aileen Sage with Michelle Tabet
- Parlour Live! – Justine Clark and Naomi Stead with Karen Burns, Maryam Gusheh, Catherine Griffiths and Fiona Young
- Objects of Practice – Andrew Burns and Mark Gowing
The proposals were chosen from twenty submissions following an open call in November 2014. The Institute’s Venice Biennale Committee will make its final selection for a theme and its creative directors on Tuesday 21 April, 2015. The successful creative directors will be required to adapt their concept to the overall international theme to be announced in late-2015.
On the selection panel are: Paul Berkemeier (chair, immediate past president of Australian Institute of Architects), Janet Holmes à Court AC (Commissioner), David Karotkin (national president of the Institute), Ross Clark (chief operating officer of the Institute), Rachel Neeson (Neeson Murcutt), Ken Maher (executive chairman, Hassell), Helen Lochhead (deputy Government Architect of NSW).