Endorsed by

Tzannes adds to series of engineered timber buildings with design for UNSW

Tzannes and Lendlease have designed a multi-purpose building constructed from cross laminated timber (CLT) for the UNSW’s main campus in the Sydney suburb of Kensington.

UNSW D14 Building by Tzannes and Lendlease.

UNSW D14 Building by Tzannes and Lendlease.

Image: Tzannes, Lendlease

The collaboration is the latest in a string of large engineered timber buildings Tzannes has designed for developer Lendlease, including International House Sydney in Barangaroo, the Australia’s first engineered timber commercial building and winner of the National Award for Commercial Architecture at the 2018 National Architecture Awards, as well as a planned adjacent “sister” building.

The seven-storey D14 Academic Building will replace the existing UNSW Hall Building, built in 1959.

The ground floor will be highly permeable, with the first two floors set back from the building envelop above to create a covered, open promenade. Above ground level, the next two floors will house flexible teaching spaces and other areas open to students, while the remaining floors will be used by the faculties, although no spaces will be reserved exclusively for a particular school or discipline.

In a design report produced as part of the application, the architects said the premise of the design was to celebrate “timber as the hero through simplicity, efficiency and clarity in expression.

“The definition of the base is also informed by the intention to maximize the physical and visual connection to, from and through the site. The six-storey top section is maintained as a simple glass skin wrapping around the timber structure, the articulation of which is informed by efficient implementation of its practical requirements resulting in an interplay between solidity, partial and full transparency, balancing the requirements of amenity and solar control.”

The building will be constructed of concrete, timber and steel. The primary mass will be fashioned from engineered timber, with glue-laminated timber (glulam) used for the beams, columns and bracing, while the floors and core walls will be made of CLT. All of the external timber elements, including an exposed truss on the first floor, would be made of recycled Australian hardwood.

CLT was first developed in Switzerland in the 1990s and has a lower carbon footprint than many other building materials used in commercial projects, in part because the production process produces no waste.

The application has been made under the state significant development process.

Related topics

More news

See all
Leagues Club Field, Gosford. NSW gov’t releases plans for new waterfront public space in Gosford

A “tidal terrace” forms the backbone of final designs for the transformation of a waterfront space in Gosford’s CBD into a new public park.

The Joynton Avenue Creative Precinct by Peter Stutchbury Architecture will host the awards presentation in November. Australian Institute of Architects expands NSW Prizes program

The NSW chapter has reorganized and expanded its awards program, which will now see the NSW Architecture Prizes awarded separately to the NSW Architecture Awards.

Built in 1869, St. Peter’s cathedral was designed by William Butterfield and Edward John Woods – the latter went on to found Woods Bagot with Walter Bagot. Woods Bagot marks 150 years of practice

One of Australia’s oldest and largest architecture practices has celebrated its 150th anniversary.

Bondi Apartment by Ricci Bloh Architecture and Interiors. Australia’s best architectural kitchens celebrated in 2020 Smeg Tour competition shortlist

The shortlist for the 2020 Smeg Tour competiton, which rewards outstanding architectural kitchen design, has been announced.

Most read

Latest on site

Calendar