Five Australian universities are ranked among the 50 best architecture schools, according to the QS World University Rankings 2018.
Australia’s best ranked university was the University of Sydney at 16th place, which slipped from equal 15th in 2017. The University of Melbourne was second at 21st (down from 19th), followed by University of New South Wales at 23rd (down from 22nd), RMIT University at 26th (up from 28th) and University of Queensland at 50th (down from 49th).
A further four universities were ranked between 51st and 100th including Curtin University, Monash University, Queensland University of Technology, University of Newcastle.
Deakin University, Griffith University, University of Adelaide, University of South Australia and University of Technology Sydney were all ranked between 101st and 150th.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (USA) was again the highest ranked university for architecture, as well as being ranked the best university overall. It was followed by University College London (UK), Delft University of Technology (Netherlands), ETH Zurich – Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (Switzerland) and University of California, Berkeley (USA), which rounded out the top five.
In the overall rankings, Australia’s top contender was Australian National University (20th) followed by the University of Melbourne (equal 41st), University of New South Wales (45th), University of Queensland (47th), and University of Sydney (50th).
The QS World University Rankings are compiled according to six criteria: academic reputation (40 percent), employer reputation (10 percent), faculty/student ratio (20 percent), citations per faculty (20 percent), international faculty ratio (5 percent) and international student ratio (5 percent).
Australia has 18 schools of architecture recognized by the Australian Institute of Architects and accredited by the respective state or territory architects registration boards.
The highest ranked architecture schools in the world are:
1. Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
2. UCL (University College London)
3. Delft University of Technology
4. ETH Zurich, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology
5. University of California, Berkeley (UCB)
6. Harvard University
7. Manchester School of Architecture
8. University of Cambridge
9. Politecnico di Milano
10. National University of Singapore
11. Tsinghua University
12. The University of Hong Hong
13. Columbia University
14. University of Tokyo
15. University of California, Los Angeles
16. University of Sydney
17. Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale Lausanne (EPFL)
18. Tongji University
19. Georgia Institute of Technology
19. The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
21. The University of Melbourne
22. Universitat Polytechnic de Catalunya
23. The University of New South Wales
24. KTH Royal Institute of Technology
25. Cornell University
For the full ranking, click here.