CUSP: Designing into the Next Decade is a three-year exhibition program by Object: Australian Design Centre with the ambitious goal of glimpsing the future of design. It’s doing this by looking at designers currently working within the Australian design landscape on the cusp of thinking in their respective fields – from architecture to fashion, data to health, and the many unexpected spaces in between.
Anchored by a set of ideas or visions of what drives each designer, CUSP is more about process and practice than objects and outcomes.
CUSP has been imagined and developed as a three-year creative program, with seven physical iterations around Australia from early 2013 to early 2015. In addition to the exhibition, which will spotlight some emblematic outcomes from each designer’s practice, there will be ways for audiences to directly engage and interact with the designers and the ideas that drive their work.
Exhibitors include Chris Bosse (LAVA), George Khut (UTS School of Design), Anupama Kundoo (UQ School of Architecture), Healthabitat, Leah Heiss (artist/designer), Material By Product, Greg More (OOM Creative), Florian Mueller (Exertion Games Lab, RMIT), Stephen Mushin (ecological designer / artist), Alison Page (National Aboriginal Design Agency), Super Critical Mass and Mari Velonaki (artist/researcher).
CUSP’s visual identity was done by TOKO Concept Design and the web presence is produced by Portable Studios. The exhibition spaces are being developed by Freeman Ryan Design.
On the CUSP curatorial advisory group are:
- Steven Pozel, director/ideator, Object: Australian Design Centre
- Kathryn Hunyor, head of creative programs, Object: Australian Design Centre
- Anthony Burke, head of the School of Architecture, UTS
- Lawrence Wallen, head of the School of Design, UTS
- Kate Rhodes, curator, RMIT Design Hub
- Danielle Robson, creative programs producer, Object: Australian Design Centre
- Annette Mauer, head of learning, Object: Australian Design Centre
- Ross Colebatch, digital programs producer, Object: Australian Design Centre
CUSP tour dates
SA: JamFactory, Adelaide, 9 February – 26 April 2014
NSW: Western Plains Cultural Centre, Dubbo, 9 May – 3 August 2014
NSW: The Glasshouse Regional Gallery, Port Macquarie, 22 August – 5 October 2014
Qld: State Library of Queensland, Brisbane, 1 November 2014 – 8 February 2015
Vic: Mornington Peninsula Regional Gallery, 25 February – 26 April 2015
Tas: Queen Victoria Gallery & Museum, Launceston, 1 June – 16 August 2015
27 February – 26 April 2015
10 am – 5 pm
Mornington Peninsula Regional Gallery
- Mornington Peninsula Regional Gallery
- Civic Reserve, Mornington Peninsula, Vic, Australia