DESIGN Canberra takes over the nation’s capital for three weeks from 4 – 24 November 2019.
DESIGN Canberra 2019 will employ the concept of utopia to harness the power of imagination to shape the future of design – in Canberra and the world. Most events throughout the festival are free and easily accessible.
Canberra contemporary jeweller, Phoebe Porter, has been selected as the 2019 DESIGN Canberra designer-in-residence.
Highlights of the 2019 program include:
- MEDUSA, a temporary architecture installation by Berlin-based design team Plastique Fantastique. The installation represents experimentation, collaboration and innovation and is an exciting expression of contemporary European design.
- The 100th anniversary of the iconic Bauhaus design movement will be celebrated with Bauhaus in Canberra: the Seidler legacy.
- Glass Utopia: Italian and Australian Glass A selection of glass pieces by contemporary Italian and Australian designers will be displayed, to stimulate a visual dialogue between the objects, activated by the numerous common elements.
- One of Australia’s most internationally renowned architects, John Andrews will be recognised for his bold, ‘aggressively utopian’ designs with a guided bus tour, photography competition, public talks, and a signature exhibition The Practical Outsider: John Andrews.
- Civic Square will become the home of DESIGN Canberra 2019 as it transforms into a dedicated site for talks, entertainment, parties, performances, art, wellness and ideas during each working week.
DESIGN Canberra is the primary outreach program for Craft ACT: Craft + Design Centre, a non-for-profit membership-based organisation which supports artists, craft practitioners, designers and makers at every stage of their careers. The festival is delivered in collaboration with industry, associations and educational institutions committed to the design arts and creative industries in Canberra.
- Canberra, ACT, Australia